What is levelling agents and what are functions of levelling agents
Levelling agents are chemical compounds that are used in textile processing to improve the evenness and consistency of dye or pigment uptake on fabric. These agents help to achieve uniform dyeing or printing by reducing the difference in dye or pigment uptake between different areas of the fabric. The functions of levelling agents include:
- Promoting even dye or pigment penetration: Levelling agents help to promote even dye or pigment penetration throughout the fabric, resulting in a uniform color or print.
- Preventing uneven dyeing or printing: By promoting even penetration, levelling agents help to prevent uneven dyeing or printing, which can lead to undesirable blotches or streaks in the final product.
- Reducing color migration: Levelling agents can help to prevent the migration of color between fibers or yarns, which can cause color bleeding or unevenness in the final product.
- Improving color fastness: By promoting even dye or pigment uptake, levelling agents can help to improve color fastness, making the color more resistant to fading or washing.
- Enhancing surface smoothness: Levelling agents can help to enhance the surface smoothness of the fabric, improving its hand feel and overall appearance.